Friday, May 12, 2006

Charlotte's Creekside

I have lived in Verona since 1996 and have never been. The last several years have had me perusing the want ads and Charlottes is ALWAYS in there. That does not speak well for working conditions. I'm just saying. OK, so we went. Henceforth, "we" means Jahn and I. He is my dining and other partner (plus, he's a really good wine picker-outerer).

We entered the establishment wondering whether we were under-dressed. Upon entrance we encountered a guy in khakis and flip-flops. Worry was put to rest. The hostess station girl ascertained our reservation status - None, number in party - two and patience level - moderate. Before she could usher us to the bar the hostess comes up and starts machine gunning questions at us. Number in party? Reservations? Wait at bar? Jeesh, we just went through this with the nice patient girl only seconds ago. The hyper hostess had a table for us and ran (literally RAN) us to the table. Nice room, cozy.

Anthony, our server, was quick to arrive, only to find out that we were ordering a bottle of wine and not a "Bud Light" and a "Cosmo." He granted us time. We made use of it and ordered a pinot noir (Robert Mondavi, Private Selection, 2005) and greens for an appetizer.

Anthony made us aware that NO SIDES accompanied dinner. They were to be ordered as extra. Also, when salads were to be selected it was Caesar or Garden. No soup? Nope, no soup. OKayyyy.... I happen to hate salad, but here ya go, green stuff or green stuff with onions. Whatever.

The greens came and were very good, albeit too spicy for me. Good flavor, lots of stuff (hot peppers and Italian bacon/ham). It was good, flavorful and spicy. It made my nose run, so off to the bathroom I went. Big mistake.

The bathrooms are off the bar. There was a singer doing some Sinatra number RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE BATHROOMS, so already I am queered out, by people watching me wait for the toilet. There are 2 doors, Women and Men. I try the door to the Ladies, it opens. In the crack made by the open door, I am privy to the bathroom mirror, in which I see a white hair lady trying to strong arm the door to prevent my entrance. (Um, how 'bout using the locking mechanism?) SO, everyone watching the singer was watching me open the bathroom door on an old lady caught unaware (read - with her pants down). My nose no longer needs attention.

I return to the table and await my entree. I ordered a NY strip, medium rare and Jahn ordered the Chicken Riggies. The entrees arrive. My steak is smothered in some sorta gravy. I can't bitch cause it's as described on the menu. However, the cook tried some sorta Emerial move and "bammed" it with green dried spices. Oregano, basil and parsley overtook my steak. It was cooked to perfection and ruined with herbs. A good steak only needs salt, all I could taste was basil.

The riggies, we brought home, likely to rot in the 'fridge.

My assesment... Charlottes wants to come off as a fine dining establishment. It doesn't. Nice ambience. Nice atmosphere. Mediocre food. Poor choices (no soup? WTF), no sides with the entree? An overabundance on green herbs (you don't have to do that with a GOOD piece of meat).

Service and atmosphere - A. Choices and selections - C. And yes, I've been to many upscale eateries in several major cities. Charlottes doesn't cut it and is not worth the price ($130+).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home