Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Colonial

The Colonial at 8752 Turin Road in Rome is my favorite lunch spot.

It doesn’t appear that they have a site. (The above link goes to Google Maps.)

Native Romans remember Fric and Frac’s Flying Food Factory on Dominick Street. Well, now the Colonial serves Fric and Frac’s fares.

The sandwiches are generous, the staff friendly, the service fast and the surroundings comfortable. They offer Quick Draw, several arcade games and in the warmer months, outdoor seating.

I eat there several times a week and heartily recommend the following sandwiches.

Mr. Magoo’s Got the Blues – This Chicken Cordon Bleu sandwich is made with chicken fingers, ham, Swiss cheese, and Bleu cheese dressing on a French roll. The fingers are white meat and tender, the roll is slightly toasted. It probably measures about 6-8” end to end, so be hungry.

The Greek Peak – The Colonial’s version of a BLT. Served in pita bread, it holds bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion, olives and mayo. And although it’s not listed on the menu, I’m sure that some Italian dressing is added. I order this without lettuce and can attest that sandwich size doesn’t suffer from its absence, meaning it’s not just a filler added for breadth. It’s not as big as the Magoo, but you still need two hands to consume it.

I had a garlic pizza with greens and olives last week that wasn’t garlicky enough for me. When I order “garlic” anything, I want to be malodorously offensive to passersby. This pizza didn’t do it and I had to add parmesan and salt. Edible, but didn’t deserve the “garlic” designation.

Their number is 337-1178. Call, you won’t be disappointed. They have a diverse menu extending beyond lunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home